First organized in 1951, the Italian-American Club of the CSRA drew many members from the workforce of local operations of large national employers, such as Fort Gordon and the Savannah River Site. However, many members of the Club belong to families with deep roots in the CSRA Records indicate that merchant Ferdinand Phinizy of Parma, Italy, was operating a lucrative retail store in Augusta, Georgia as early as 1790. It was, also, the skill of Italian stone masons that lead to the creation of Augusta’s Lake Olmstead.
The Club seeks to unite into one organization people who wish to work together for the preservation and deepening of the Italian-American friendship and relationship. It is the purpose of the Club to foster and disseminate an appreciation of the Italian culture and customs, to maintain a continuing interest in Italian heritage, and to provide an association with other Italian-American Clubs in nearby areas.